Update All The Things!

Once again, sorry for the long delay. I have completed a lot of my planned projects but just haven’t had the time to post an update on them. I’ll be posting individual tutorials for the projects I’ve done so far when I get more time.


Shifter Linkage Bearings

Shifting in my AW11 isn’t as smooth as I would have liked, so I decided to replace the old worn rubber grommets on the transmission side of the shifter linkage with roller blade bearings. The idea for this project came from the old MR2 Wiki (http://mr2wiki.com/AllModels/ShiftBearings).

Before

DSC_2991

After

DSC_3763

Shifting feels much more crisp this way, but I may update the bottom one with a spherical bearing in the future.


Relocate Battery to Trunk

The battery lines were really nasty and corroded. So I decided to relocate the battery to the trunk for more space in the engine bay.

Before

DSC_0230

DSC_2981

DSC_3017

DSC_3014

DSC_3358

After

DSC_0015

DSC_4040

DSC_4046

DSC_4035

DSC_0050

 

The new battery lines consist of two 2 gauge negative lines (running to the chassis and the transmission) and two 4 gauge positive lines (running to the starter and the alternator). There are a few 10 gauge positive lines that now run to the engine bay relay box no. 2 as well.


Replace the Climate Control and Open Door Indicator Lights

The open door indicator light and the climate control lights were all stock warm incandescent lights — which clashed with the cool white LEDs on the instrument panel. After getting annoyed enough I ordered some more lights from superbrightleds.com (I bought three 74 sized light bulbs, but you actually need four if you intend on getting them all).

Before

DSC_1479

 

After

DSC_0153

DSC_0179

As you can see the only thing I didn’t replace was the light for the cigarette lighter. I’ll probably get it in the future, but getting the climate control out is such a pain in the butt that it wasn’t worth it.


Cabin Light Replacement Take 2

The extra weight of the LED panels kept causing the dome light to pop off and dangle on its cables, so I decided to remove the old mod and put up some LED strips I got for five bucks on Amazon.

Before

DSC_1484

After

DSC_0045

 

Unfortunately these lights are more purple than cool white, so I’ll likely replace these again at some point in the future.


Replace Fuel Filter and Oxygen (O2) Sensor

The fuel filter in the car was probably never changed since it rolled off the factory assembly line, and the O2 sensor had an unknown history. On Amazon I bought a new NPN brand fuel filter (P/N 23300-19175) for $30, and a new Denso 234-1056 Oxygen sensor for $23.

The process to replace the fuel filter was a bit of a pain, so read my tutorial on it if you plan on tackling it. The O2 sensor was super easy to replace though.

Before

DSC_3774

DSC_4059

After

DSC_3455

DSC_3811

 

DSC_4007

DSC_4073

The only thing that made installing the new O2 sensor difficult was the bent to shit exhaust manifold cover (I’m blaming a previous owner for not taking out the bottom bolts before trying to pry it out).


Refresh Engine Bay

When I started relocating the battery I knew that cleaning things up would be a good idea while I was already there. A lot of the old wiring was ratty, some of the vacuum lines were cracking, fuel lines were not fuel injection rated, and a lot of parts were very dirty. So I decided to refresh everything that I could. This took about three weeks.

Before

DSC_3357

DSC_3164

DSC_3421

DSC_3491

DSC_3509

DSC_3513

DSC_3628

DSC_3620

DSC_3640

DSC_4183

DSC_4205

DSC_4199

DSC_4236

DSC_4388

DSC_4396

After

DSC_0052

DSC_4536

 

DSC_4573

 

DSC_4499

 

DSC_4483

DSC_4414

DSC_4135

DSC_4132

DSC_3934

DSC_4244

DSC_4191

 

DSC_0012

DSC_0018

DSC_0054

DSC_0015

 


 

Replace Intake and EGR Gaskets

While I refreshed the engine bay I needed to replace the old intake manifold gasket, intake plenum gasket, and the EGR gasket.

I bought the gaskets on RockAuto.com for about $25 altogether with shipping.

Before

DSC_4494

After

DSC_4539

DSC_4543

 

DSC_4544

 

Note: Since the EGR gasket didn’t quite fit I had to cut it.

DSC_4497

DSC_4498

 

 

 

DSC_4501

 


 

Add Lights to the Shifter

Just for the hell of it I decided to add some LED light strips I had laying around to the shifter cover. I think it came out pretty well:

DSC_0105

DSC_0180

 


 

Replace Vacuum Tank and Check Valve

When I was cleaning everything up I found that the vacuum valve rattled like a spray paint can, and the one-way check valve didn’t work. So I bought a replacement Vacuum Tank (P/N 25719-16020) for $33, and a replacement Check Valve (P/N 90917-10049) for $12 through a couple of Toyota part dealers online:

DSC_0076

DSC_0082

DSC_4162

 


 

Cup Holders

I was browsing through some Japanese AW11 galleries and found that a few of them were mounting cup holders above the climate controls. The only probably was that the pre-built solutions they were using cost about $25+. So being the cheap inventor that I am, I decided to try to copy what I saw. I went down to Wal-Mart and bought some metal mesh pencil holders for $2.58 each, put some velcro on the bottoms, and attached them to the top of the climate control paneling:

 

DSC_0259

 

I measured the size of the cup holders to ensure that they would fit even large drinks, and they hold up very well (even when corning fast).

Here’s what it looks like with a small 22 oz drink and a 500 ml water bottle:

DSC_0262

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.